Monday, November 5, 2012

#2 Ken Robinson Talks: Do Schools Kill Creativity?

I will start off this report by saying what a wonderful public speaker Ken Robinson is. He is very comedic and he is not afraid to discuss large and complicated topics, such as a faulty education system. I also have to completely agree with him.

Ken Robinson is completely right by saying "Schools Kill Creativity". I can connect thoroughly with many of his points. One of them was that school systems, no matter where you are, treasure mathematics and sciences more deeply than the arts (dance, drama and music). (Just compare IDCI's new Science Department to our Musical Theatre Program. Oh wait! We don't have one...)

Robinson also discussed how as more of the population gets educated, the more meaningless a University Degree is. I can agree with this as I have never thought about getting a job when everyone is educated. In 50 years or somewhere down the road, students will need to go to school for 10 years just to get a decent job in an office. I am personally not willing to go to school for 5-10 years just to get a degree in the field that presently takes 2-4 years.

Robinson also makes a very good point when he says people learn differently. When I participated in the High School Project this past summer, I met many students who are dancers. Many of them had the opportunity to attend arts schools such as HB Beal or the Royal Ballet School of Ontario. I can connect with Robinson's story about the choreographer of The Phantom of the Opera and Cats. I can predict that my friends will be much more successful at their arts schools as opposed to public high schools due to how they learn.

Robinson is right in saying we need to change our educational values and our education system.

-Colin Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment